Year-round, Vermont offers a variety of activity and recreation that can be enjoyed by all. From hitting the slopes at one of the state's many ski resorts to sailing along Lake Champlain, discover what keeps Vermonters busy during each season. If you are looking for delicious eateries and locally-sourced restaurants, view our Restaurants & Eateries page.
Winter to Summer, Spring to Fall, there is so much to do and see in Vermont. Check out what happens throughout the year below:
Discover Vermont history and at one of its many museums or take a tour of the local businesses. Even if you are not a skier or don't plan to hike up a mountain, Vermont gives you a variety of ways to take in its natural beauty and have fun all season long.
- Shelburne Museum (Shelburne)
- Montshire Museum of Science (Norwich)
- ECHO Lake Aquarium & Science Center (Burlington)
- Jay Peak Pump House
- Ben & Jerry's Factory Tours (Waterbury)
- Lake Champlain Chocolate Factory Tours (Burlington)
- Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
- Burlington City Arts
Vermont is known as New England’s Winter sports "capital". Blanketed in snow, Vermont is a winter paradise - from frozen Lake Champlain to snowcapped mountaintops. With an abundance of outdoor playtime opportunity, it's easy to celebrate the beauty of the Green Mountains-turned-white.
Vermont Ski Resorts:
- Killington - highest gondola-serviced skiing
- Jay Peak - also home to the Jay Peak Pump House
- Stowe - home to Vermont's highest peak
- Sugarbush - excellent terrain
- Mount Snow
- Okemo - family operated & home to Southern Vermont's highest verticle drop
- Smugglers Notch
- Mad River Glen - a cooperative resort & only for skiers
- Stratton - fastest lift fleet in the east, plus a regular, all-around Top 10 resort in the east
Learn more about Vermont ski mountains at www.skivermont.com.
Other Winter activities include:
- Snowshoeing & Nordic skiing - Blueberry Hill, Mountain Top, Bolton Valley, Woodstock Inn & Resort, Stowe Cross Country, Trapp Family Lodge, Trout Club-Stowe
- Ice hockey - join the Lake Champlain Pond Hockey Classic or watch the UVM Catamounts hockey teams
- Ice fishing
Spring - Summer - Fall
After all the snow melts, and the mud dries up, Vermont is lush and green and a sight to see. Just as it is in Winter, Vermont is a destination during the Spring, Summer, and Fall. From day-long hikes to a stroll along Burlington's Waterfront, soak in the warmer months in Vermont. Lake Champlain is most the state's most well-known body of water but there are many surrounding lakes great for swimming, fishing, kayaking, and more - Lake Bomoseen, Lake Carmi, Lake St. Catherine, Lake Willoughby, Crystal Lake, and Dunmore, just to name a few.
- Biking - Vermont is top-rated for cycling enthusiasts. For trails and route information: Central Vermont Cycling, Lake Champlain Bikeways, Heart of Vermont Bike Ways
- Shelburne Orchards - apple picking
- Sailing - rentals and lessons offered at the Community Sailing Center
- Boating in VT - offers a guide to marinas, lakes, fishing info, weather, and more
- Hiking - get a new perspective of Vermont's stunning landscape. Find hiking trails with the Vermont State Park. For a fun hike, check out Mt. Philo. For something more challenging, Mt. Mansfield and Camel's Hump are worth the trip!
- Fishing & fly fishing - the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department maintain 5 hatcheries to stock prime bodies of water across the state
- Leaf peeping - drive through Vermont country during the Fall to see hues of yellow, orange, and red leaves on the trees
- Shelburne Farms - talk a walk around the ground, have breakfast at the inn, visit the farm animals, and more!
- Vermont Lake Monsters - Vermont's Minor League baseball team
- Vermont Sports - online magazine featuring opportunities state-wide
- Golf Guide - comprehensive online resource, Vermont.com, listing courses state-wide
- Run Vermont - your guide to races and programs and events
FUN FOR ALL AGES!
Vermont is a wonderful place to raise your family. Those who begin families here, stay here, and many others relocate for the purpose of its superior lifestyle. In June 2014, The Washington Post published an article titled "Best State in America: Vermont, for its Healthy Kids". Parenting Magazine listed Burlington, VT as number two for "Top 10 Places to Raise Families in 2012". MensHealth also placed Burlington #1 on its "100 Best (and Worst) Places to Raise a Family".
Some family-friendly events:
- Addison County Fair & Field Days
- Champlain Valley Fair (Essex)
- Stoweflake Hot Air Balloon Festival - live music, family-friendly activities, food and drink
- Islands Center Car Show
- Vermont horse shows - Vermont Summer Festival Horse Shows, Champlain Valley Horse Shows, Green Mountain Horse Association. For a full calendar of horse shows, click here. Association offers their calendar here.
For more information about all that Vermont has to offer and to learn about the local real estate market, contact The O'Brien O'Connell Team today!